Learn how to pipe data from Segment into Correlated
Segment is a customer data platform that collects event data from a variety of sources and makes it easy to pipe this data into downstream third-party applications. Correlated is an application that consumes data from Segment and makes it easier for revenue teams to analyze and act on the customer usage and event data stored in Segment.
You can also add additional context to Segment event data via our integrations with other third-party applications (e.g. Salesforce). You can read more about our Salesforce Integration and our other integrations if you'd like. In the meantime, let's get started with populating Correlated with your organization's data!
Before You Get Started
You or a colleague must have Workspace Owner access to your organization's Segment account in order to add the Correlated destination. Your product or operations team usually owns your internal Segment implementation.
Connecting via OAuth
- Log into the Correlated application
- Click on Integrations in the left navigation
- Click "Connect to Segment" to connect via OAuth
- Select the first source that you want to connect - we typically recommend connecting both your website and your product
- Once your connection is successful, you can verify the status in the Segment card on the Integrations page.
Connecting additional sources
As mentioned earlier, we typically recommend connecting both your website and product to Correlated. In order to add multiple sources, all you have to do is re-connect via OAuth and select the new source you want to include. You can access the OAuth connection here.
Connecting via API
Some older instances of Segment may not support OAuth. If you're experiencing this issue, it's easy to connect via our API key instead.
- Go to the Segment card and copy the API key.
- Log into Segment
- Check what your organization name is. Once you log in, just look at the URL. We've starred our org name as an example: https://app.segment.com/getcorrelated/overview
- Access the Correlated Destination to add it as a destination. Because the destination is still private, you have to access the link directly, replacing [orgname] with the organization name you found in step 2: https://app.segment.com/[orgname]/destinations/catalog/correlated
- Click "Configure Correlated"
- Select the Source you want Correlated to ingest data from
- Click "Confirm Source"
- Now, copy in the Correlated API key that you saved earlier. Click "Save"
- You can now check the status of your Correlated API on Segment's Destination page
From here, click “Configure App”, select a Source, and click “Confirm Source”. You can configure your destination by setting the “API Key”, then clicking the toggle to enable the destination. Remember, add as many sources as you need - not just your app!
Configuring Your Integration
Once you've connected our Segment Integration, we'll automatically pull in your events and traits. If you'd like to send us page events as well, let the Correlated team know and we can set them up for you.
By default, we assume that you have the groupId field filled in with an ID that identifies the Account, as well as a userId that identifies unique Users.
- Find the Segment integration card and click "Edit"
- With the Dimensions and Metrics tabs, you'll be able to see every trait and event available in Correlated.
Why don't I see certain metrics after connecting Segment?
If you connected Segment and events have just started flowing in, it's possible that Correlated hasn't received every type of event that you have yet. If you notice some Metrics missing, give Correlated a little time to get a better view of the distinct events coming in before trying again.
For further troubleshooting, please check out Segment's Testing and Debugging docs.
We recommend you send us at least the Account Name and User Email, in order to populate your accounts / users in a human-readable format.
- Once your dimensions are available, navigate to the "Configuration" page in Correlated and populate the corresponding fields for "Account Name" and "User Email" - This will populate accounts / users in Correlated via Segment.
Updated 17 days ago