Segment is a customer data platform that collects event data from a variety of sources and makes it easy to pipe this data into downstream third-party applications. Correlated is an application that consumes data from Segment and makes it easier for revenue teams to analyze and act on the customer usage and event data stored in Segment.
You can also add additional context to Segment event data via our integrations with other third-party applications (e.g. Salesforce). You can read more about our Salesforce Integration and our other integrations if you'd like. In the meantime, let's get started with populating Correlated with your organization's data!
You or a colleague must have Workspace Owner access to your organization's Segment account in order to add the Correlated destination. Your product or operations team usually owns your internal Segment implementation.
- Log into the Correlated application
- Click on Integrations in the left navigation
- Click "Connect to Segment" to connect via OAuth
- Select the first source that you want to connect - we typically recommend connecting both your website and your product
- Once your connection is successful, you can verify the status in the Segment card on the Integrations page.
Connecting additional sources
As mentioned earlier, we typically recommend connecting both your website and product to Correlated. In order to add multiple sources, all you have to do is re-connect via OAuth and select the new source you want to include. You can access the OAuth connection here.
Some older instances of Segment may not support OAuth. If you're experiencing this issue, it's easy to connect via our API key instead.
- Go to the Segment card and copy the API key.
- Log into Segment
- Check what your organization name is. Once you log in, just look at the URL. We've starred our org name as an example: https://app.segment.com/**getcorrelated**/overview
- Access the Correlated Destination to add it as a destination. Because the destination is still private, you have to access the link directly, replacing [orgname] with the organization name you found in step 2: https://app.segment.com/[orgname]/destinations/catalog/correlated
- Click "Configure Correlated"
- Select the Source you want Correlated to ingest data from
- Click "Confirm Source"
- Now, copy in the Correlated API key that you saved earlier. Click "Save"
- You can now check the status of your Correlated API on Segment's Destination page
From here, click “Configure App”, select a Source, and click “Confirm Source”. You can configure your destination by setting the “API Key”, then clicking the toggle to enable the destination. Remember, add as many sources as you need - not just your app!
You can only add "metrics" from Segment (Correlated will help you onboard other data sources)
Currently, we only allow users to add metrics into Correlated from Segment. If you're using any other data sources, including Salesforce, Snowflake, BigQuery, etc, your Correlated team member will help you set things up. Further, the interface we expose to you to import Segment metrics is significantly less flexible than what Correlated is capable of. If you would like to see any more advanced metrics, make sure to reach out to your Correlated team member.
Once you've connected our Segment Integration, you're ready to start adding in metrics and dimensions. By default, we assume that you have the groupId field filled in with an ID that identifies the Account, as well as a userId that identifies unique Users.
- Find the Segment integration card and click "Edit"
- Select the "Metrics" tab to configure which metrics we pull from Segment. You'll see a button that says "Add Metrics..." in the top right corner.
You'll notice underneath the button some text that indicates how many metrics are available to connect. When you first connect Segment, Correlated starts receiving metrics and will pull all the distinct "Events."
Why don't I see certain metrics after connecting Segment?
If you just connected Segment and events have just started flowing in, it's possible that Correlated hasn't received every type of event that you have yet. If you notice some metrics missing, give Correlated a little time to get a better view of the distinct events coming in before trying again.
Upon clicking "Add Metrics" you'll be able to select the Events that you want to surface in Correlated. We typically suggest to only include metrics that are relevant to the Sales team. For example, include events related to key features, but don't include product button specific events (like opening or closing a modal).
You can customize the Events you choose to surface in Correlated. Click the "Customize Metrics" button to update metric names and descriptions.
- Once you're done, click "Import Metrics." You'll see the metrics you selected show up in the "Connected Metrics" view. You can edit the metric name and description at any time, or add new metrics as they show up in Segment.
Updated 11 days ago